Wednesday, December 28, 2011

In The Kitchen: Fried Apple Fritters



I've spent the better part of the last 2 days, working diligently to clean up the toy, wrapping paper, and packing peanut explosion that detonated in my living room on Sunday morning...


It is definitely, you can say, my LEAST favorite part of the holiday season.....though playing chicken in a badly designed parking lot with a crazed, last minute Christmas Eve shopper, ranks right up there too....

I realized today, that I needed something to turn my post Christmas blues around....and what better way, then completely changing directions.....and instead of cleaning up a mess.....I'm going to make one!

I brought out my Grandma's old handwritten cookbook....the one with the yellowed, dog-eared pages.....but with recipes that will make my husband drool from half a world away, my sons clean their plate, and I bet would even tame the craziest of Christmas shoppers.....

These Beauties....with their golden brown color....and glistening with their dusting Cinnamon and sugar has renewed my Holiday Spirit, my faith in my fellow man.....and completely made me forget my new years resolution of .......what was it again?

Must not have been important.....






Fried Apple Fritters

1 Egg
2/3 c. milk
1 t. veg. oil
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbs Sugar, divided
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Salt
5 Apples, (Granny Smith work Really well)
Peeled, Cored and Thickly sliced.....note I said Thickly
(too thin, and they will fall apart)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying


Directions

1. Combine Egg, Milk, and oil. Mix until blended, then set aside. In a separate Bowl, Mix Flour, the 2 Tbs of Sugar, Baking Powder and salt. Pour Dry Mix into Egg Mixture., and Blend until Smooth.


2. Heat oil in deep sided skillet....I highly recommend investing in a Cast Iron Skillet! Heat oil to 365 Degrees


3. Dip Apple Slices into Batter, throughly coating both sides. Deep fry 1-2 minutes on one side, then flip, making sure both sides get nice and evenly browned. Drain, then sprinkle with 1/4 C. Sugar and Cinnamon.

4. Eat alone....or.....serve with Vanilla Icecream